Boroughmuir Vs Melrose | Saturday 28 September | Meggetland

Another beautiful day for rugby, but with a slippery pitch following recent rains. Despite constant early pressure it took Melrose 20 minutes before they could cross the whitewash. Chris Raymond, from halfway, strode majestically towards the line before, just short, off-loading to Douglas Crawford who dived over between the posts. David Colvine converted immediately before leaving the fray with a shoulder injury. The next score came at 35 minutes. Robin Weersma’s attempted penalty kick hit the wrong side of the right-hand upright bouncing away from Melrose hands and was grounded in-goal by Gavin Welsh who had followed up fast. Weersma’s kick, again, failed to reach the target.

Half time – Boroughmuir 5 Melrose 7

At 54 minutes Weersma missed another penalty and, two minutes later, Donald Crawford chipped ahead on the Boroughmuir 10m line, retrieved the ball and, after progressing up-field, off-loaded right to Lewis Mallin who raced into the right corner for an unconverted try. With a mixture of balls lost forwards and stuffy defence there was no further scoring until 77 minutes when Donald Crawford kicked a penalty to give Melrose the ten-point lead.

Boroughmuir 5 Melrose 15

Boroughmuir – Ben Renton, Gavin Welsh, Grant Inness, Jack Hamilton, Finlay Devine, Robin Weersma, George McLean, Chris Anderson, Lewis Robinson, Scott Habib, Arran Wilson, John Troxler, Gavin Inkster, Dan Coulter, Matt Walker. Replacements – Tom Gracie, Stuart Ferguson, Derry McConnell, Ronan Kerr, Calum Anderson.

Melrose – David Colvine, Lewis Mallin, Gary McWilliam, Darren King, James Brown, Donald Crawford, Douglas Crawford, Sean Fisher, Ben McLean, Will Owen, Thomas Brown, Callum Wilde, Chris Raymond, Grant Runciman, Trystan Andrews. Replacements – Richard Ferguson, Archie Bogle, Gregor Lindsay, Craig Fairbairn, Jack Mundell.

Referee – Ruaridh Campbell. Touch Judges – Pete Millican (Boroughmuir) & Ian Cooper (Melrose)


© 2020 by MELROSE Rugby Ltd. 

Tel: 01896822993